Stan's Notebook: Hold Your USB Connections Together
The world is fast adopting USB as a useful, cost-effective connectivity tool. But, one issue slowing acceptance is the
connector itself. Without a strong retention mechanism, USB has been deemed inadequate for many industrial
applications. Manufacturers have responded with proprietary connectors or cables featuring a custom thumbscrew.
While this attempts to address the problem, it adds cost and size. Worse yet, it requires the purchase of a custom
USB cable that you certainly won’t find at your local electronics store when stuck on a job site.
Here at B&B Electronics we’ve got a more elegant solution. On most products we are incorporating a high-retention
Type B USB connector. This interface meets Class1Div2 minimum withdrawal requirements of 15 N. You can rest
assured that your USB connections will hold together in those demanding applications!
Locked Serial Numbers Explained
B&B Electronics offers one-port USB to serial products in two formats. The standard (original) format offers each unit as Serialized - each individual product has a unique serial number.
The second format uses the same serial number for all units of the same model type - Locked Serial Numbers. Why do we offer both? Different applications demand different functionality.
Serialized - every unit is assigned a unique COM port, install process required for every unit, ideal application: fixed locations
Locked Serial Numbers - Same type model numbers shares the same COM port, requires only one install process for each model type, ideal application: field service
When ordering Locked Serial Number versions, add an -LS to those models that indicate they support the Locked Serial Number function. Serialized and Locked Serial Number versions sell for the same price
> Products > USB Connectivity > USB to Serial Converters > USB to Serial Converters- USB to RS232/422/485 with isolation, 1-4 ports > In-line
USB to Serial Connections That Hold Tight!
Inline - USB to Serial Converters, 1 port
Connect serial devices to your USB-only PCs
- Protect PCs and devices from surges and spikes
- Use legacy serial devices with USB PCs and laptops
- Connect multiple devices with multi-port models
- New! High retention USB connectors offer minium withdrawal strength of 15 Newtons
- Isolated models offer 2000 VDC optical isolation
- Add a COM port to your USB PC
- LEDs on transmit and receive lines
- USB 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 compatible (12 Mbps)
- Automatic configuration on Windows 2000, XP, Vista and Windows 7
- No power supply required (powered from USB bus)
- Includes 1 meter USB cable
Get the extended range and multi-drop capability of RS-232 or RS-422/485 from the USB port of your PC. Isolated models protect PCs and laptops from dangerous surges and spikes on the network. Windows automatically configures the serial output as an additional COM port, compatible with your Windows application
RS-232 USB/serial converter unique features
- Full handshake support (TD, RD, RTS, CTS, DTR, DSR, DCD, RI, GND)
- DB9 male (DTE)
- Baud rates up to 460 Kbps
RS-422/485 USB/serial converter unique features
- Pluggable terminal blocks
- Supports TDA, TDB, RDA, RDB, GND
- Baud rates up to 921 Kbps
- Use on RS-485 2-wire or RS-422/485 4-wire networks
- Supports Send Data Control (SDC)