Teaming Data Systems for Portable Power
Industry: Power & Energy
Product: Modbus Ethernet to Serial Gateway
Aggreko, a world leader in temporary power and temperature control rental services, deploys large power installations in remote, developing locations. A typical installation includes a set of six generators and a transformer housed in 20-40 foot containers. Diesel or gas powered generators supply 0.5-1.0 MW power. A SCADA system is required to monitor and control the diesel engine sets and various I/O for generators and transformers. In addition to linking to engine systems, each individual generator or transformer has fire safety systems using serial interfaces. The system also includes other control components such as Allen Bradley PLC® units operating on a MODBUS/TCP protocol. SCADA, serial, Modbus protocols...how do you tie it all together?
B&B Electronics provides Aggreko with two custom panel assemblies incorporating industrial Modbus Ethernet to Serial Gateways to connect serial devices to an Ethernet-based SCADA system and to provide conversion to Modbus/TCP protocol. Inside each transformer unit is a NEMA-rated panel kit from B&B Electronics utilizing two RS-485 data acquisition modules for I/O connections, a Modbus Ethernet serial server, power supply, relays, wiring, etc. An Ethernet unmanaged switch, also manufactured by B&B Electronics, ties all the Modbus Gateways and connects them to the SCADA master allowing seamless monitoring and control of the transformers.
Why B&B Electronics?
- Flexible connectivity between Modbus RTU, Modbus ASCII to Modbus TCP Ethernet network
- RS232/422/485 configurability of the serial ports suitable for Modbus protocol
- Ability to withstand harsh industrial environment (-34 to 74°C), DIN mount
- Total integrated solution: Gateways, managed/unmanaged switches, cables, power supplies packaged in a NEMA enclosure
Vlinx™ Model MESR901 – Modbus Ethernet to Serial Gateway
- Slim, Industrial Enclosure DIN mount
- Flexible Ethernet or Serial Master/Slave configurations
- Web Server, Configuration Software
- Wide operating temperature (-34 to 74°C)